China promises to refinance Abuja-Kano, Port-harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects


The People’s Republic of China has publicly reaffirmed its unwavering commitment to financing and completing the critical Abuja-Kano and Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri railway projects in Nigeria. This announcement was made following a bilateral meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and the Nigerian delegation led by President Bola Tinubu, who was represented by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, at the prestigious Belt and Road Initiative Forum in Beijing.

Despite previous setbacks in project funding, China has pledged to provide 85% of the necessary financing for these vital railway infrastructures. The remaining 15% was promptly contributed by Nigeria through appropriations, underlining the nation’s dedication to advancing its infrastructure and connectivity.

During the meeting, President Xi Jinping expressed his enthusiasm for strengthening economic ties with Nigeria. He specifically committed to increasing investments in Nigeria’s power generation and digital economy sectors, recognizing the enormous potential of the Nigerian market. Additionally, he assured the protection of Chinese nationals working in Nigeria, underscoring the importance of mutual cooperation and support between the two nations.

Furthermore, President Jinping endorsed the Renewed Hope Manifesto of President Bola Tinubu, highlighting his support for Tinubu’s vision for Nigeria’s future. Jinping also pledged to enhance political support and collaborate across various fields, emphasizing China’s commitment to fostering peace and stability in the Sahel region.

Vice-President Shettima, delivering President Tinubu’s message, expressed deep appreciation for China’s respectful approach in their bilateral relationship. He emphasized the need to upgrade the existing partnership to a comprehensive strategic one, underscoring the mutual respect, dignity, and non-interference that have characterized their interactions over the past 50 years.

The meeting concluded with President Xi Jinping formally inaugurating the forum, where numerous Heads of States and high-ranking government officials gathered to discuss vital matters of international cooperation, development, and mutual understanding. China’s commitment to supporting Nigeria’s growth, both economically and politically, was once again reiterated, emphasizing the enduring friendship and cooperation between the two nations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *